I have been watching a lot of television series lately.
One of my new favorites is HBO’s The
Newsroom. While watching I
could not help but see a strange resemblance to one of my past tv loves,
NBC’s The Office.
I mean just look at the titles. They are both based in a
work environment with a crazy boss and coworkers that act more like a
dysfunctional-yet-loveable family. BUT, to me the most shocking link
between the two are the relationship storylines between Maggie and Jim and Jim
and Pam.
They are essentially the same romantic plot line and here is
why.
Maggie Jordan, a young female lead in The Newsroom, is a kind-of redhead with a loyalty to her boss that
no one really seems to understand. In the pilot Maggie reveals her true desire
to be more than just a receptionist, I mean assistant, to become a production
assistant. She is Pam Beesly, just
younger and slightly more neurotic.
In The Office’s first seasons
Pam will explore her love of art and often discuss how she never dreamed of
becoming a receptionist during her monologs. Also, both Pam and Maggie get drunk in the first few episodes
and that is where the sparks begin to fly between their respective Jims and the
audience falls in love.
But of course, Maggie and Pam are currently seeing another guy.
While, both The Office and
The Newsroom set up Roy and Don as
antagonists, they really aren’t the bad guys here. They are both pretty decent characters/human beings. Yet we
find ourselves routing for the Jims, the quirky guy with cute hair.
The Jim comparison just slaps you in the face. The Newsroom has Jim Harper and his
counterpart from an alternative universe is Jim Halpert from The Office. COME ON! They are same character. He’s dependable,
goofy, smart, the great friend, then starts a romance with another women, yet
is still in love with Pam/Maggie.
Even though I have seen this all before, I find myself sitting
here like the romance driven female I am, wanting Jim and Maggie to make out in
the rain (and since this is on HBO maybe even more!).
I clearly have a “type” for shows and men.
No comments:
Post a Comment